In a Nutshell - MBA Financial Management
Our MBA program Financial Management is designed to enhance the knowledge and skills of graduate students seeking leadership responsibilities in the area of finance and to improve their social and methodological competencies. They strive for an internationally recognized degree and a managerial position in finance or business. Graduates from all disciplines can enroll to the MBA program Financial Management after having acquired at least 2 years relevant work experience.
If you are interested in general management and finance, have an entrepreneurial spirit, are globally-minded and ambitious, our MBA program Financial Management could be just right for you. You will promote your knowledge and skills in the area of finance, management accounting, business strategy and decision-making techniques (including social competencies and information management tools) necessary for effective management. Financial Management students have an international outlook and are driven by determination, resilience and creativity. Currently, around 60 post-graduate students from 27 countries are enrolled.
- Annual intake: 25-30 students
- Average professional experience: 2-3 years
- Average age of students: 25-30 years old
- Gender breakdown: 1/3 female, 2/3 male
- 96% of our students come from abroad
- Hitherto 70 nationalities in class
In order to get a good impression of how studying Financial Management at Coburg University is like, you can read our brochure Financial Management (14 MB).
The program is internationally-oriented and especially geared to the requirements of foreign students. For German students, the MBA program Financial Management presents a unique opportunity to profit from a friendly, cross-cultural, international learning environment.
During the 1st and 2nd Term, you will build your foundation in general and financial management. Electives allow you to specialise in areas of particular interest and thereby to develop expertise with your career ambitions in mind.
- Human Resource Management and Leadership
- Intercultural Management and Ethics
- Business Strategy and International Marketing
- Information and Communication Systems
- Fundamentals of Financial Management and Economics
- Financial Markets & Institutions
- International Management Accounting
- International Tax and Legal Systems
- Corporate Finance and Financial Analysis
- Management of Projects and Business Simulation
An internship at a German company (no work permit required) is an integral part of the study program and is scheduled for the 3rd Term.
During their internship, students have the opportunity to apply the theoretical knowledge and skills obtained in the program, as well as become familiar with German business customs. The internship lasts 20 weeks. German students (who have never studied or worked abroad) are encouraged to do the internship abroad. The program has developed a large internship database and will provide substantial contact data on request.
In the 4th Term - having successfully participated in the requisite modules Treasury Management and Risk Management - you will be able to focus on your master’s thesis. Many students choose to conduct research on an innovative theme in one of their courses, while others prefer a topic relating to their tasks at their internship.
German language classes
German language classes are offered at various levels of proficiency and are free of charge to enrolled students of the MBA program Financial Management. Our introductory courses do not require any previous German language skills.
In order to exploit the most attractive opportunities for your internship, our language courses will equip you to pass the Goethe-Certificate A2 exam of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).
Download examination regulations
We believe that academic education at Coburg University is not limited to a classroom environment, but also happens off campus. Hence, we try to expose and connect our students to the real world on a variety of levels.
For this objective, our MBA students participate in:
- a 20-week internship at a listed German company or a leader in their respective industry
- firm outings and cultural study trips linked to specific coursework, giving them the opportunity to visit a number of iconic cities and experience German culture and history
- an academic excursion led by staff and faculty, in which we explore the business, political and cultural facets of Munich, Frankfurt, Berlin, or the capital cities of our neighbours
The internship, field trips and academic excursion bridge theory and practice. They form an integral part of the curriculum. We consider these activities key to enhance students’ networking abilities and stimulate their integration in Germany, whilst facilitating contact with future employers. Invariably they are memorable experiences.
We all study in the current MBA class and will answer your questions from our own experience. So if you want to know, how life feels in Coburg, how to solve visa issues and what's actually in the master program Financial Management, just drop an email.
Professors and Guest Lecturers
Professors of Coburg University
- Prof. Dr. Claus-Burkard Böhnlein, Department of Business Administration
- Prof. Dr. Eduard Gerhardt, Department of Business Administration
Information and Communication Systems
SAP / FI
- Dr. Apostolos Gerontas, Department of Applied Sciences
- Prof. Dr. Petra Gruner, Department of Business Administration
Scientific Research Methods
- Prof. Dr. Roland Hertrich, Department of Business Administration
Value Management in Marketing
Selected Topics in Corporate Finance
- Prof. Dr. Josef Löffl, Academic centre for sciences, culture and humanities
European History and Culture, Internship Placement Seminar
- Prof. Dr. Victor J. Randall, Department of Business Administration
Financial Markets and Institutions
Applied Risk Management
Master Thesis Seminar
Internship Placement Seminar
- Prof. Dr. Thomas Schauerte, Department of Business Administration
Quantitative Methods in Finance
- Prof. Dr. Lutz Schneider, Department of Business Administration
Fundamentals of Financial Management and Economics
- Prof. Dr. Milena Valeva, Academic centre for sciences, culture and humanities,
Introduction to Islamic Finance and Banking
- Prof. Dr. Felix Weispfenning, Department of Business Administration
Business Strategy and International Marketing
- Mitchell Alexander, Hogeschool Utrecht
- Dr. Muhammad Ashfaq, University of Tübingen
Introduction to Islamic Finance and Banking
- Joachim Fuchs, Diplom-Mathematiker, Deutsche Bank Privat- und Geschäftskunden AG
- Dr. Christoph Götz, O&R Oppenhoff & Rädler AG
International Tax Systems
- Dina Grube, MBA, Senior Financial Analyst, Philipp Morris International
Financial Planning and Analysis - FPNA
- Felicitas Hoppe, Sapere Aude, Frankfurt
International Management Accounting
- Dr. Walter Hyll, Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung Halle (IWH)
Fundamentals of Financial Management and Economics
- Prof. Dr. Matthias Kropp, University of Applied Sciences, Pforzheim
International Accounting Selected Topics in IFRS
- Markus Leue, Group Manager Vodafone
- Prof. Dr. Gerhard Lindner, Coburg University emeritus
Risk Investment in Emerging Technologies
- Ralf Otto (Dipl.-Wi.-Ing.), WP/StB, ROI GmbH
- Prof. Dr. Holger Rekow, iba University of Cooperative Education der F+U Unternehmensgruppe Nuremberg
Human Resource Management and Leadership
- Wolfgang Strobel, Hauck & Aufhäuser
Management of Business Projects / Financial Analysis and Management, Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A)
- Prof. Dr. Jeffrey M. Thompson, B.S.B.A., J.D., Attorney at Law, Pennsylvania, U.S.A
International Legal Systems, Jurisprudence and Cases in Common Law System
Tuition fees & Scholarship
Tuition fees for the four term program currently comprise 9,400 € in total (2,350 € per Term). In addition, students are required to pay an enrollment fee of around 95 € every term.
Coburg University does not offer scholarships for MBA students, but there are many organizations in Germany which provide scholarships for students from abroad. More information about German scholarships can be found on the website of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD): www.daad.de
Please approach us directly if you have questions about financing and funding options. Expenses arising from further education may be tax deductible. Kindly seek advice from a tax consultant.
The vast majority of graduates remain in Germany after completing their studies in Coburg. Often they are employed by international corporations.
Generally, graduates find it easy to procure a professional position in their areas of choice (primarily: Finance and Banking, Management Accounting, Treasury, Business Strategy, Consulting). Initial assignments typically are: Finance Director, Financial Controller, Corporate Treasurer, Financial Analyst, SAP Consultant, FX Manager, Risk Analyst.
Recently our graduates have successfully launched their post-MBA careers at companies such as adidas, Allianz, Bosch, BMW, Brose, Commerzbank, Continental, Daimler, Deutsche Bank, Deutsche Börse, Deutsche Bundesbank, E.ON, Henkel, Knorr-Bremse, KPMG, Linde, Metro, Opel, Schaeffler, SAP, Siemens and Volkswagen.
- Applicants are required to have at least a Bachelor’s degree preferably in the field of Business Administration, Commerce or Economics (min. grade of 2,5 on the German scale or a 2.5 GPA on a four-point scale).
An entrance qualification such as the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is recommended for graduates from other academic disciplines such as engineering, natural sciences or the humanities.
- Furthermore, work experience of a minimum of 2 years is required. Applicants with a non-business degree must have at least 1 year practical experience (out of a minimum of 2 years) in the field of commerce.
- All applicants must demonstrate sufficient proficiency in English by submitting the results of one of the following tests. For applicants who have not obtained a waiver, the following are the required minimum scores:
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- PB TOEFL 550
- CB TOEFL 213
- IB TOEFL 80
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- 6,5 or UNIcert® II
- Applicants must also successfully participate in the selection process, which includes an interview. The selection interview will last 10-15 minutes and is designed to assess the suitability, motivation and qualification of the applicant. The interview with applicants from abroad may be conducted by telephone or via Skype.
- Fill in the application online
- Print it out and send a signed copy with all required documents by post to:
96406 Coburg, Germany
- Completed application, printed out and signed
- Two passport-sized photographs
- Officially certified copies of all diplomas
- Original transcripts of records or officially certified copies
- GMAT Scores are recommended (institution code number for GMAT is 7450)
- TOEFL/IELTS or UNICERT II (institution code number for TOEFL is 7450)
- Certified copy of passport
Acceptance and Confirmation
Applications are reviewed on an on-going basis. Candidates will generally be given notification on the status of their application within 2 weeks. Once accepted, students have 1 month to confirm their place.
Suport for International Students
Unlike at larger universities throughout the world, you will not need binoculars in order to see your professor at Coburg University of Applied Sciences and Arts. Foreign students are supported by a student tutoring and counselling system. A social and cultural activities program especially for foreign students is organised to support their integration process.
Our International Office provides advice and support for international students and resolves organizational issues relating to their studies.
Our support for international students
FAQs - Frequently asked questions
Here's a list with frequently asked questions about the master program Financial Management.
Are you interested in further information about our master program Financial Management? You can send us a short message.
Doctoral thesis published
Despite the large Muslim population in Germany, Islamic Banking in this country is still at the beginning of its development. In his dissertation, Muhammad Ashfaq highlights the potential of Shari’ah-compliant Islamic Banking and Finance products...continue reading
T. +49 (0)9561 317-325
F. +49 (0)9561 317-334