Our MBA program Financial Management is designed to enhance the knowledge and skills of graduate students seeking leadership responsibilities in the area of finance and to improve their social and methodological competencies. They strive for an internationally recognized degree and a managerial position in finance or business. Graduates from all disciplines can enroll to the MBA program Financial Management after having acquired at least 2 years relevant work experience.
If you are interested in general management and finance, have an entrepreneurial spirit, are globally-minded and ambitious, our MBA program Financial Management could be just right for you. You will promote your knowledge and skills in the area of finance, management accounting, business strategy and decision-making techniques, including social competencies and information management tools necessary for effective management.
Financial Management students have an international outlook and are driven by determination, resilience and creativity. Currently, around 60 post-graduate students from 27 countries are enrolled.
The program is internationally-oriented and especially geared to the requirements of foreign students. For German students, the MBA program Financial Management presents a unique opportunity to profit from a friendly, cross-cultural, international learning environment.
*average values of classes of 2015 - 2017
The vast majority of graduates remain in Germany after completing their studies in Coburg. Often they are employed by international corporations.
Generally, graduates find it easy to procure a professional position in their areas of choice, primarily: Finance and Banking, Management Accounting, Treasury, Business Strategy, Consulting. Initial assignments typically are: Finance Director, Financial Controller, Corporate Treasurer, Financial Analyst, SAP Consultant, FX Manager or Risk Analyst.
Recently our graduates have successfully launched their post-MBA careers at companies such as adidas, Allianz, Bosch, BMW, Brose, Commerzbank, Continental, Daimler, Deutsche Bank, Deutsche Börse, Deutsche Bundesbank, E.ON, Henkel, Knorr-Bremse, KPMG, Linde, Metro, Opel, Schaeffler, SAP, Siemens and Volkswagen.
"The study in Coburg gave me a further knowledge extension in Finance area, which is very practical and useful in the later working environment. The study offered the opportunity of internship which opened the door for me to work in a reputable German Company. The colleagues and professors I met in our program were also very nice and warm-hearted. In addition I was very impressed by the strong and organized administrative support we received as a student. Last but not least, the strong support of German language program was very intensive for us to integrate into the German life."
Min Chen, Senior Manager Treasury, German Automotive Company (Graduate, Class of 2006)
"The two year study was extremely helpful for my carrier growth. What I studied in the program applied in my daily work in the past 13 years. As well as the social and diversity of the program help me to be more adaptable in my life. It was a great two-year experience providing a life long benefit."
Sun Bingqing, Greater China Commercial Contract Director at Kantar, WPP (Graduate, Class of 2006)
During your studies you will build your foundation in general and financial management. Electives allow you to specialise in areas of particular interest and thereby to develop expertise with your career ambitions in mind.
Integrated German language classes allow you to exploit the most attractive opportunities for your internship. After the practical semester you will be well equipped to combine your theoretical and practical knowledge in your master thesis.
Base Modules of Financial Management
- Human Resource Management and Leadership
- Financial Management Accounting
- International Tax and Legal Systems
- Intercultural Management and Ethics
- Business Strategy and International Marketing
- Information and Communication Systems
Core Modules of Financial Management
- International Economics
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Markets and Institutions
- Treasury Management
- Risk Management
German Language Courses
German language classes are offered at various levels of proficiency and are free of charge to enrolled students of the MBA program Financial Management. Our introductory courses are integrated into the curriculum and do not require any previous German language skills.
Students complete a placement test for German and / or provide a relevant language certificate. The compulsory language module German Intensive Course I concludes with the German exam Goethe-Zertifikat A1, the German compulsory module German Intensive Course II concludes with the German exam Goethe-Zertifikat A2 of the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).
- Applied Risk Management
- Current Topics in International Finance
- Financial Engineering
- Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A)
- Introduction to Islamic Finance & Banking
- Issues in Political Science
- Mergers and Acquisitions (M&As)
- Operations Management
- Quantitative Methods in Finance
- Risk Management and Insurance
- Selected Topics in Corporate Finance
- Value Management in Marketing
We believe that academic education at Coburg University is not limited to a classroom environment, but also happens off campus. Hence, we expose and connect our students to the real world on a variety of levels.
For this objective, our MBA students participate in:
- a 20-week internship at a German company
- firm outings and cultural study trips linked to specific coursework, giving them the opportunity to visit a number of iconic cities and experience German culture and history
- an academic excursion led by staff and faculty, in which we explore the business, political and cultural facets of large German cities or the capital cities of our neighbours
The internship, field trips and academic excursion bridge theory and practice. They form an integral part of the curriculum. We consider these activities key to enhance students’ networking abilities and stimulate their integration in Germany, whilst facilitating contact with future employers. Invariably they are memorable experiences.
In the last semester students focus on the master’s thesis. Many students choose to conduct research on an innovative theme in one of their courses, while others prefer a topic relating to their tasks at their internship.
- Applicants are required to have a Bachelor’s degree or higher preferably in the field of Business Administration, Commerce or Economics (min. grade of 2,5 on the German scale or a 2.5 GPA on a four-point scale).
An entrance qualification such as the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is recommended for graduates from other academic disciplines such as engineering, natural sciences or the humanities.
- Furthermore, work experience of a minimum of 2 years is required. Applicants with a non-business degree must have at least 1 year practical experience (out of a minimum of 2 years) in the field of commerce.
- All applicants must demonstrate sufficient proficiency in English by submitting the results of one of the following tests. For applicants who have not obtained a waiver, the following are the required minimum scores:
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- PB TOEFL 550
- IB TOEFL 80
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- 6,5 or UNIcert® II
Pearson PTE Academic
- PTE Academic Score 53
- We strongly recommend to upload your documents to www.uni-assist.de for evaluation. We cover uni-assist handling costs for successful applicants. These costs will be reimbursed after enrolment.
- Applicants must also successfully participate in the selection process, which includes an interview. The selection interview will last 10-15 minutes and is designed to assess the suitability, motivation and qualification of the applicant. The interview with applicants from abroad may be conducted by telephone or via Skype.
Kindly complete the online application, upload all required documents and send it to us online.
- Motivation letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Scanned copy of all relevant diplomas and certificates
- Scanned copy of transcripts of records
- Uni-assist evaluation
- English language certificate
- Scanned copy of passport
After arrival in Germany, applicants must present their original certificates and documents (no copies) to confirm their enrolment in the MBA program.
Acceptance and Confirmation
Applications are reviewed on an on-going basis throughout the academic year. Candidates will generally be given notification on the status of their application within 2 weeks. Once accepted, students have 1 month to confirm their place.
Lecturers of Coburg University
- Prof. Dr. Claus-Burkard Böhnlein, Department of Business and Economics
Management of Projects and Business Simulation | Operations Management
- Prof. Dr. Eduard Gerhardt, Department of Business and Economics
Information and Communication Systems | Management of Projects and Business Simulation | SAP/FI
- Dr. Apostolos Gerontas, Department of Applied Sciences
Intercultural Management and Ethics
- Prof. Dr. Roland Hertrich, Department of Business and Economics
Selected Topics in Corporate Finance | Value Management in Marketing
- Prof. Dr. Mirko Kraft, Department of Business and Economics
Risk Management and Insurance
- Prof. Dr. Xun Luo, Academic centre for sciences, culture and humanities
Intercultural Management and Ethics
- Prof. Dr. Victor J. Randall, Department of Business and Economics
Applied Risk Management | Financial Markets and Institutions | Project Placement and Coaching Seminar | Master Thesis Seminar
- Prof. Dr. Thomas Schauerte, Department of Business and Economics
Corporate Finance | Quantitative Methods in Finance | Risk Management
- Prof. Dr. Milena Valeva, Academic centre for sciences, culture and humanities
Introduction to Islamic Finance and Banking
- Prof. Dr. Felix Weispfenning, Department of Business and Economics
Business Strategy and International Marketing
- Randall Bolten, Lucidity, USA
Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A)
- Christian Eckert, NÜRNBERGER Versicherung, Germany
Risk and Insurance Management
- Joachim Fuchs, Deutsche Bank Privat- und Geschäftskunden AG, Germany
- Dr. Christoph Götz, Oppenhoff & Rädler AG, Germany
International Tax and Legal Systems
- Felicitas Hoppe, Sapere Aude, Germany
Financial Management Accounting
- Markus Leue, Vodafone, Germany
- Prof. Dr. Dubos J. Masson, Indiana University, USA
- Philipp Morscheck, DZ BANK AG Deutsche Zentral-Genossenschaftsbank, Germany
- Ralf Otto, ROI GmbH, Germany
Financial Management Accounting
- Alba Patozi, University of Cambridge, UK
- Prof. Dr. Holger Rekow
Human Resource Management and Leadership
- Dr. Tobias Schuler, European Central Bank, Germany
Current Topics in International Finance
- Wolfgang Strobel, Hauck & Aufhäuser, Germany
Mergers and Acquisitions (M&A)
- Prof. Dr. Jeffrey M. Thompson, University of Valley Forge, USA
International Tax and Legal Systems
- Prof. Dr. Reinhard Zintl, University of Bamberg, Germany
Issues in Political Science
Tuition Fees & Scholarship
Tuition fees for the four term program currently comprise 11,800 € in total (2,950 € per Term). In addition, students are required to pay an enrollment fee of around 100 € every term.
Coburg University does not offer scholarships for MBA students, but there are many organizations in Germany which provide scholarships for students from abroad. More information can be found here: Scholarships
Support for International Students
Unlike at larger universities throughout the world, you will not need binoculars in order to see your professor at Coburg University of Applied Sciences and Arts. Foreign students are supported by a student tutoring and counselling system. A social and cultural activities program especially for foreign students is organised to support their integration process.
Our International Office provides advice and support for international students and resolves organizational issues relating to their studies. More information can be found here: Our support for international students
We all study in the current MBA class and will answer your questions from our own experience. So if you want to know, how life feels in Coburg, how to solve visa issues and what's actually in the master program Financial Management, just drop an email.
Are you interested in further information about our master program Financial Management? You can send us a short message.
T. +49 (0)9561 317-325
T. +49 (0)9561 317-636