International Strategy of Coburg University
Internationalization is a key strategic objective of the University of Coburg. It is reflected both in the mission statement of the university as well as in its academic development plan. In addition, the University of Coburg is involved in the Diversity Audit of the Stifterverband. Stifterverband is a joint initiative started by companies and foundations – the only one in Germany to be devoted entirely to consulting, networking and promoting improvements in the fields of education, science and innovation.
Furthermore Coburg University participates in the European Union’s ERASMUS+ program. We have summarized our goals for internationalization in the European Policy Statement.
The University’s Mission Statement
The University’s Mission Statement states: "As people we need to be both cosmopolitan and rooted. We see ourselves as an active crosslinking agent. Our university offers a platform allowing the region and the world to meet academically, economically and culturally. Internationality is promoted in many programs."
University Development Plan 2020
Our University Development Plan 2020 enshrines internationalization as one of our five strategic development objectives through 2020. It states: "We see international mobility and intercultural experience as a stimulus for a cosmopolitan mindset. The Coburg University uses the globalized world as an opportunity for worldwide participation in the scientific community. It is anchored regionally and networked internationally as a cooperation partner in research and teaching. "
Measures for Internationalization
Concretely, the University Development Plan 2020 includes the following eleven measures to provide practical implementation for the development objective "International mobility and intercultural experience":
- The university seeks to become a member of the European University Association (EUA).
- The university is strengthening its cooperation with national and international scientific organizations and research groups.
- The technical and personnel prerequisites for offering modules in the English language as well as for visiting professors will be created in order to attain a balance in the numbers of incoming and outgoing students. The foreign language skills of German-speaking students and teachers will be improved.
- The intercultural competence of staff will be fostered.
- An online database with all current international activities of teachers and students will be developed.
- A welcome service will be established for incoming students. Language courses and intercultural training will be expanded.
- The university will form strategic partnerships with German schools abroad.
- Foreign language training with language certificates will be expanded as needed.
- The most important information about courses of study will also be published in English.
- Application deadlines for foreign students will be made more flexible.
- The International Office will offer tailor-made information sessions for foreign applicants.
The Coburg University participates in the Diversity Audit “Create Diversity” sponsored by the Stifterverband. The aim of this project is to more closely examine diversity criteria which have not yet been considered such as migration and anti-racism in order to, among other things, create programs and support for refugees and migrants. In addition, we wish to develop and promote skills in dealing with diversity at all levels of university life.
The Diversity Audit is meant to make an important contribution to finding out more about the academic success and the needs and experiences of students with an immigrant background and to ascertain appropriate actions. In addition, there will be a focus on refugees and asylum seekers in the region Coburg.
T. +49 (0)9561 317-113