Symbolbild Hörsaal

Before you arrive

Admission Requirements and Application

The entry requirements, the application process, and the application deadlines are different for each program of study.  Be sure to get the correct information by contacting the program of study you want to attend.

Applications often fail for formal reasons – for example, because the documents are incomplete, or not submitted on time. You can avoid any errors by carefully checking your application:

Further information about application

Entry Requirements for our german bachelor and master program are listet on the German website of our program.

Visa Application

International students often need a visa to travel to Germany. Whether you need one depends on your country of origin and how long you will stay.

International students looking to study in Germany will generally need a visa. This excludes students from the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland. These students only require a valid ID card or comparable identification to travel to Germany. Students from these countries can register at the city's registry office as soon as they have found an apartment. This is where they will receive a residence permit for study purposes.

International students from other countries generally need to apply for a visa before arrival. You have to attend to this before you come to Coburg. As it may take six to eight weeks to receive a visa, please make sure that you apply for it well in advance! Please do not come to Germany with a tourist visa, even if you are planning to just bridge a time gap until you get your "proper" visa! You will not be allowed to study at Coburg University with such a visa. A tourist visa cannot be changed to a student visa, and a student visa has to be collected in person, which means that you will have to go back home just to pick up your proper visa. In order to be able to apply for a visa, you need your ‘letter of acceptance’ from the Coburg University and a proof of financial support, which confirms the funding of your living expenses during your stay in Coburg.

Please contact the German embassy in your home country to apply for a student visa or an applicant visa. You can find more information on the Website of DAAD.

Health Insurance

Anyone wanting to study in Germany needs health insurance – without this you won't be able to enroll in a German university. Many students will be able to use their health insurance from their home country. Germany has concluded social insurance agreements with some countries, including the member states of the European Union and the European Economic Area. This means that anyone who has statutory health insurance in his or her home country can register this insurance coverage with a statutory health insurer in Germany. To find out the best way of doing this you will need to contact your local health insurance company. You generally need a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).

Private health insurers from other countries are sometimes also accepted in Germany. Your local insurer will be able to provide more information. In this case, you will need a confirmation certificate to enroll in the university. Anyone commencing their studies in Germany with private insurance is then not allowed to switch to a statutory health insurer for the entire duration of their course.

Anyone who does not have access to their local health insurance will need to obtain insurance in Germany. The statutory health insurers in Germany are obliged to provide discounted student rates for their insurance coverage for students until they reach 30 years of age or until the end of their 14th subject-related semester. You can obtain health insurance from any statutory health insurer in Germany. They generally charge a standard fee for student health and nursing insurance. The membership fee is currently 90 EUR a month. The health insurer will issue you a certificate on the existing insurance coverage, which you need to submit during enrollment.

Anyone who is over 30 years of age or has been studying for more than 14 semesters during their period of study in Germany can maintain their statutory insurance, but at a higher rate. Anyone who is over the age of 29 when starting their course can only obtain private insurance.

Education and Living Expenses

Secure funding is very important for the success of your studies. International students completing their entire (or part of their) course in Germany need to consider different costs. To get a better overview, you can distinguish between education and living expenses.

Education Expenses

These include tuition fees and semester fees:

  • Tuition Fees
    Tuition fees differ from program to program. Refer to internet site for your chosen program of study for more information.
  • Semester Fees
    The semester fee is generally payable at all universities and for all students in Germany. It has nothing to do with the tuition fees. The semester fee (currently EUR 130.53) at Coburg University is comprised of the student union fee (EUR 72.00) and the semester ticket fees for local public transport (EUR 58.53). Semester fees must be paid every semester before students are permitted to enroll or re-enroll.

Living Expenses

Living expenses in Germany are slightly above the European average. They are below those of countries such as Denmark, Luxembourg or Switzerland, but are quite high compared to countries in Asia, Africa or Latin America.

The living expenses include

  • Health services and insurance (if necessary) EUR 110
  • Books and supplies: EUR 50
  • Room and board: EUR 300
  • Personal expenses (food, clothing, travel, loan fees etc.): EUR 280

    Total: EUR 740 per month

Price Overview

  • 1 loaf of bread: EUR 1.20 - 3
  • 1 kilo of apples: EUR 3
  • 1 kilo of potatoes: EUR 1
  • 1 litre milk: EUR 0.60 - 1
  • 1 bottle of mineral water (0.75 litres): EUR 0.30 - 0.80
  • 1 cup of coffee (in a café): EUR 3.00
  • 1 beer (in a pub): EUR 3 - 4
  • 1 pizza in a restaurant: EUR 8 - 10
  • 1 pair of shoes: EUR 30 – 100
  • 1 T-shirt: EUR 10 - 50
  • 1 pair of trousers: EUR 30 - 100
  • 1 cinema ticket (student discount): EUR 6 - 8
  • 1 theatre ticket (student discount): EUR 10 - 30
  • 1 ticket to a museum (student discount): EUR 2 - 8

The student may incur additional costs that are not included in the total budget. Such costs include: medical expenses not covered by insurance, field trips, purchasing a computer and software, etc. International students have to open a blocked account to prove that they have sufficient funds for their stay in Germany (853 EUR per month).

Financial Support for Your Studies - Scholarships

Coburg University distributes scholarship information to its international students. Please be aware that the application for these opportunities cannot be initiated before the second semester at Coburg University.

Finding Accommodation

The International Office supports students looking for accommodation. Some students are offered a flat in our student residences which have 500 single apartments with kitchen, bathroom/WC, and modern facilities. The apartments must be rented for a minimum of half a year (September-February and March-August). The rent is between 170 EUR and 220 EUR per month for the dorms and up to around 300 EUR for private rooms.

How do students live in Coburg?

Desmond Ahia from Ghana is studying at Coburg University for almost two years, now. How did he find an apartment as an international student?

External content

To see this content (source:, you have to click accept. We would like to point out that by accepting this iframe data could be transmitted to third parties or cookies could be saved. For more information, see our privacy policy.